Eye examinations are not just about whether you need to wear glasses or not, they also provide a useful health check. Our optician will not only check how good your sight is, but will also look for a whole range of eye conditions and other health problems. An eye test can detect early signs of glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and cataracts. Other conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure could also be picked up. We can also offer a separate test (M-Pod) to measure the density of macular pigment low levels of which have been linked to AMD.
If you have not had your eyes tested in the last two years we highly recommend you contact us to make an appointment.
An eye examination costs £45. This fee includes OCT, retinal photography and digital slit lamp examination if required. However If you qualify for your examination to be paid for by the NHS there will be a charge of £17 (Optional for those under 19 years of age) which covers the cost of OCT, retinal photography & digital slit lamp examinations as these are not funded by the NHS.
The NHS will contribute towards an examination for the following categories:
- Anyone aged over 60
- Children under 16 (under 19 in full-time education)
- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- Income support
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
- Tax Credit and named on a valid NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate
- People with Diabetes
- Glaucoma sufferers (and anyone aged over 40 with a close relative with the condition)
- Those considered to be at risk of Glaucoma by a hospital ophthalmologist
- Registered blind or partially sighted
- Those eligible for NHS complex lens vouchers
- Named on a valid HC2 certificate
The M-Pod is a machine used for measuring the density of macular pigment. Low macular pigment has been linked to Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) which can lead to potential sight loss. Anyone can take the test and information on diet and supplements will be given. We conduct this as a separate appointment as it usually takes about 1/2 hour. We stock several different supplements including Macushield and I-Caps.